- Irrationality Of E 17/10/2010 01:00
Prove that e is irrational.Problem ID: 377 (17 Oct 2010) / Difficulty: 4 star
- Rectangle Construction 17/10/2010 01:00
Find the connection between the constructed length and the original rectangle.Problem ID: 376 (17 Oct 2010) / Difficulty: 2 star
- Inscribed Circle In Isosceles Triangle 16/08/2010 01:00
Find the radius of the circle inscribed inside the isosceles triangle.Problem ID: 375 (16 Aug 2010) / Difficulty: 2 star
- Multiplying Magic Square 16/08/2010 01:00
Show how the values 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, and 256 can be placed in a 3x3 square grid so that the product of each row, column, and diagonal gives the same value.Problem ID: 374 (16 Aug 2010) / Difficulty: 3 star
- Polynomial Roots 07/08/2010 01:00
Prove that the roots of the polynomial, xn + cn-1xn-1 + ... + c2x2 + c1x + c0 = 0, are irrational or integer.Problem ID: 373 (07 Aug 2010) / Difficulty: 3 star
- Hops And Slides But Never Square 07/08/2010 01:00
Prove that the minimum number of moves to completely reverse the positions of the coloured counters can never be square.Problem ID: 372 (07 Aug 2010) / Difficulty: 3 star
- Irrationality Of Pi 24/12/2009
Prove that π is irrational.Problem ID: 371 (24 Dec 2009) / Difficulty: 4 star
- Square And Round Plugs 24/12/2009
Which fits better... a round plug in a square hole or a square plug in a round hole?Problem ID: 370 (24 Dec 2009) / Difficulty: 2 star
- Algebraic Cosine 30/11/2009
Prove that cos(x) is algebraic if x is a rational multiple of Pi.Problem ID: 369 (30 Nov 2009) / Difficulty: 4 star
- Inscribed Square 30/11/2009
Find the side length of the square inscribed inside the right angled triangle.Problem ID: 368 (30 Nov 2009) / Difficulty: 2 star
- Infinite Circles 15/11/2009
What fraction of the large red circle do the infinite set of smaller circles represent?Problem ID: 367 (15 Nov 2009) / Difficulty: 4 star
- Fractional Triangles 01/02/2011 00:00Use the lines on this figure to show how the square can be divided into 2 halves, 3 thirds, 6 sixths and 9 ninths.
- Chocolate 01/02/2011 00:00There are three tables in a room with blocks of chocolate on each. Where would be the best place for each child in the class to sit if they came in one at a time?
- Solution 01/11/2013 00:00Solution to TWO and TWO
- Mystic Rose 01/02/2011 00:00Use the animation to help you work out how many lines are needed to draw mystic roses of different sizes.
- Strange Bank Account (part 2) 01/05/2013 00:00Investigate different ways of making £5 at Charlie's bank.
- What's the Weather Like? 01/10/2013 00:00With access to weather station data, what interesting questions can you investigate?
- Picturing the World 01/10/2013 00:00How can we make sense of national and global statistics involving very large numbers?
- Power Mad! 01/02/2011 00:00Powers of numbers behave in surprising ways. Take a look at some of these and try to explain why they are true.
- Estimating Time 01/12/1999 00:00How well can you estimate 10 seconds? Investigate with our timing tool.
- Factorising with Multilink 01/05/2012 00:00Can you find out what is special about the dimensions of rectangles you can make with squares, sticks and units?
- The Fastest Cyclist 01/06/2012 00:00Andy is desperate to reach John o'Groats first. Can you devise a winning race plan?
- Perception Versus Reality 01/10/2013 00:00Infographics are a powerful way of communicating statistical information. Can you come up with your own?
- Picture This! 01/11/2012 00:00
- Sorted 01/10/2012 00:00How can you quickly sort a suit of cards in order from Ace to King?
- Felix's Parachute Jump 01/10/2012 00:00On October 14th 2012, Felix Baumgartner made a world record breaking parachute jump. Can you figure out the numbers behind his jump?
- Dispute over Infinity Divides Mathematicians
- Book Review: Beautiful Geometry
- Are XPRIZEs the Future of Scientific Discovery and Exploration?
- Stepping Science: Estimating Someone's Height from Their Walk
- Cocktail Accessories Modeled after Nature s Survival Mechanisms
- Tying Light in Knots [Slide Show]
- How to Make Kids Love Math
- Mathematicians and Computer Scientists Shrug over the NSA Hacking
- Genius Grant Statistician Says, I Can t Be Anything Else
- European Research Council Funds ArXiv Online Pre-Print Physics and Math Papers Repository
- Evolution Is an Opportunist
- Can You Solve This Physics Brain Teaser of the Bullet-Block Experiment? [Video--UPDATED]
- Biotech s First Musical Instrument Plays Proteins Like Piano Keys [Slide Show]
- In Natural Networks, Strength in Loops
- Mathematical Impressions: Making Music with a Möbius Strip
- Insects Forgo Flocks in Favor of Swarms
- Kids JUMP for Math [John Mighton's Junior Undiscovered Math Prodigies]
- Obama Budget Threatens Popular STEM Education Initiatives
- Big Data Makes Big Inroads into Schools
- Bits for Brains: How Technology Is Shaping Learning